Transportation has played an important role in traveling since ancient times. Goods and human transportation has developed over time.
In the past, the main source of fuel was derived from nature such as wind energy for sailing boats, animals like cows, horses, etc., or even human forces as seen in the Viking history.
During the age of steam and mechanical engines in the mid of 18 to the beginning of 19 centuries, our way of transportation and traveling developed further and became more comfortable than ever.
The beginning of the 20th century marked the birth of airways transportation, after the invention of the first airplane by the Wright brothers. Since then, the way we commute has changed forever.
Fast forward to today, our methods and way of commuting have developed a lot and become more efficient. They are essential factors in any type of business.
So, without further ado, let’s dive into the meat of the article.
What Is Transportation
Transport or transportation, according to Wikipedia, is the movement of humans, animals, and goods from one location to another. In other words, the action of transport is defined as a particular movement of an organism or thing from a point A to a Point B.
Modes of transport include air, land, water, cable, pipelines and even space.
4 Components Of Transportation
1. The Way
There are mainly 3 ways of goods transportation.
By land – generally by road and rails. This is the most common way of commuting.
By water – The oldest ways of transportation. Common routes are rivers, sea, and oceans.
By air – the newest and fastest way.
Nowadays, space has also been used as another channel of transportation, but mainly the above 3 are the most common and efficient.
2. The vehicle
In the past, vehicles were used as the medium for doing business. Animals like elephants, horses, donkeys, camels, etc. were used to pull the cart containing goods.
But in today’s world, machines are used instead which are more efficient.
3. The terminal
Terminals represent the starting or ending point for transportation and destination. For example, public bus terminals, airports, and ship ports are the terminals for land, air and sea transportation respectively.
4. The carrier
The carriers are the ones providing transportation services. This could be government or private firms. Carriers may or may not make money depends on whether they are operating as a business or not.
Evolution Of Different Modes Of Transportation
1. Land Transportation
- Started in Babylonian age (200 BC)
- The first horse cart was invented in England
- At the beginning of the 18th century, steam engines were invented for railways transportation.
- In the year 1886, the first car was invented. Different types of equipment like tuck equipment, spare parts, etc. were manufactured.
- Car transportation has become the world’s most famous way of commuting.
2. Water Transportation
- It is the world’s oldest mode of transportation
- Around the mid 400 BC, boats were invented and used for capturing fish in the Mediterranean sea.
- Phoenician people (Belonged to Phoenicia, now Lebanon) were the first group of people to use ships and boats as the mode of transportation.
- The first official water goods transportation happened in the year 1772 in England, between Manchester and London Bridge
- Luxury ships, Princesses Victoria Louis was very famous among tourists and became the provenance of luxury yacht we see today.
- Steamboat became the first type of vehicle to officially travel across the ocean
3. Air Transportation
- As you probably already know, the first airplane was built by the Wright brothers in 1903
- First flight in terms of a business relationship between countries happened between London and Paris
- In the early 21st century, many airline companies were founded. The famous one being B.A (British Airways, England), AF (Air France, France) and LH (Lufthansa, Germany)
- The first commercial flight happened in the United States, between Boston and New York. During this time, airlines started recruiting flight attendants.
Important Points To Consider In Transportation Business
- Vehicles should be appropriate with the transportation channel or work.
- Vehicles need to be checked and assessed before starting the journey
- Maintain a good relationship with other transportation carriers like airport staff for example.
- Vehicles should be equipped with appropriate facilities depends on the types, mode of transportation, distance traveled, etc.
- People taking charge of the vehicles should be well-trained, both in technical expertise and providing services.
That’s all for the things you need to know regarding the history and evolution of transportation.
The way human commute and do business between places have developed over the course of years and centuries. From relying on nature supply like animals and wind energy to inventing complex machinery.
We have come a long way and I believe as long as science and technologies are growing and developing, the way we transport will also continue to evolve.
Author: Usman Raza is the co-founder of Christian Marketing Experts and marketing strategist working with various brands online, and the content marketing manager of Los Angeles Digital Agency, PSD to WordPress, and RoyAlens. He is devoted to helping small businesses bridge success gaps by providing in-depth, actionable advice on digital marketing, SEO, and small business growth. Follow him on Twitter @usmanintrotech.