Hi friend! Are you fed up with constantly resetting forgotten passwords and dealing with login friction? I feel your pain.
As a long-time technology geek and authentication expert, I believe magic links are the future.
Magic links remove passwords entirely and let your users log in with a single click. In this comprehensive guide, I‘ll explore the top magic link platforms to help you implement seamless authentication.
By the end, you‘ll have unbiased insights to select the best solution for your needs. Let‘s dive in!
What Are Magic Links and Why Do They Matter?
Simply put, magic links eliminate passwords. Users enter their email, receive a unique login link, and click to instantly access their account.
As someone who has implemented authentication for years, I‘m thrilled by this passwordless approach. Here are the key benefits:
Passwords are a major weak point. About 80% of breaches involve compromised credentials. Magic links remove this vulnerability entirely. There are no passwords to steal or crack!
Remembering passwords and going through reset flows creates major friction. With magic links, users log in instantly. For returning users, it only takes a click from their email inbox.
Links work seamlessly across devices. Users can receive the login link on their phone and click on their laptop for access. There‘s no device-specific credentials to manage.
Improved User Experience
Passwords are a top complaint for users today. Consumers want easier login. Magic links provide a delightful, frictionless experience that users love.
With these benefits, it‘s no wonder major companies like Medium, Slack, and Shopify have adopted magic link login. As an industry, it‘s time to kill the password!
Now let‘s explore the leading platforms that make implementing magic links easy. I‘ve evaluated them hands-on from an expert lens.
1. Stytch – Simplest Implementation for Developers & Non-Developers
Stytch is my top recommendation for most use cases. Here‘s why:
Intuitive Options for Any User
Stytch provides multiple integration paths depending on your needs:
- Email Magic Link API – For developers to build custom flows
- React/Next.js SDKs – Frontend libraries for web apps
- No-code page – Enables magic links with zero coding
This flexibility is unique. Non-technical users can instantly enable magic links on the no-code page. Developers have end-to-end control via the APIs.
Everything You Need, Out of the Box
Stytch handles all the magic link infrastructure:
- Email templates – Customizable branding and content
- User management – Built-in controls and analytics
- Security – Brute force protection, rate limiting, and more
You get the complete package without any DevOps overhead.
Simplicity at Scale
Stytch makes it easy to add magic links to any size application:
- 5,000 free monthly active users
- Pay as you go pricing – Easy to scale up
- Live support – Quick answers when you need help
- 99.99% uptime SLA – Reliability you can depend on
The team clearly built Stytch to deliver simple and robust magic links fast. It shows in the product‘s quality and flexibility.
2. FusionAuth – Customizable Magic Link APIs
FusionAuth offers developer-oriented APIs to customize your magic link flows.
Here are the key strengths:
Magic Codes for Added Security
FusionAuth allows magic link emails with short-lived codes for users to enter. This provides an extra layer of protection.
You can configure:
- Code length and format
- Expiration time – For example, 5 minutes
- Attempt limits to prevent brute force
Entry codes deter phishing and raise the security bar.
With FusionAuth, you can:
- Send codes via email or SMS
- Integrate with your email provider
- Build branded templates
- Set up MFA with magic links
Their APIs enable you to dial in flows to match your use case.
Self-Hosted and Scalable
FusionAuth is entirely self-hosted. For small workloads, a free single server option is available.
Paid tiers remove FusionAuth branding and offer:
- Multi-server production deployments
- Cloud hosting options
- Premium support services
Overall, FusionAuth is a top pick if you want open-source extensibility plus the ability to customize your magic link flows.
3. WorkOS – Simple Cloud Service
WorkOS provides cloud-based APIs to integrate magic links with minimal coding.
Here‘s an overview:
Developer Friendly APIs
WorkOS offers client libraries for popular platforms:
- Frontend (JS, iOS, Android)
- Backend (Ruby, Python, Node.js)
Implement with your stack of choice, without managing infrastructure.
Built-in Email Delivery
WorkOS can send magic link emails on your behalf:
- Custom branded templates
- Fast email infrastructure
- Detailed delivery analytics
Skip setting up your own email service just for magic links.
Simple and Scalable
With WorkOS, pricing is predictable:
- 5,000 free monthly active users
- Unlimited emails
- Pay only as your user base grows
- Scale to millions of users
For startups that want easy magic links without hassle, WorkOS is a great option.
4. MojoAuth – Robust Magic Link APIs for Developers
MojoAuth provides enterprise-grade APIs for advanced customization and control.
Here are some highlights:
Comprehensive Language Support
MojoAuth offers native SDKs for:
- Mobile (iOS, Android)
- Server (Java, .NET, Node.js)
Their docs and sample apps will jumpstart any implementation.
Flexible Authentication Options
With MojoAuth, you can build:
- Pure magic link flows
- Magic links + one-time password for MFA
- Custom branding and UX
MojoAuth enables magic links in your desired format.
Reliability and Support
MojoAuth is built for demanding workloads:
- 99.9% uptime SLA
- 24/7 customer support
- Infrastructure across 130+ edge locations
For enterprise-scale applications, MojoAuth delivers.
While not as beginner-friendly as some platforms, MojoAuth provides rock-solid APIs for advanced customization. Their support and infrastructure provide peace of mind for critical systems.
5. Supabase – Magic Links Powered by Open Source
Supabase makes it easy to add magic links leveraging their open source stack.
Here‘s an overview:
Pure Open Source
Supabase is built on open source tools:
- Postgres database
- Authentication powered by OAuth
- Real-time subscriptions with PostgreSQL
You get transparent infrastructure to customize and extend.
Built-in or SDK Integration
Add magic links via:
- Hosted authentication in Supabase dashboard
- Dart for mobile (Flutter)
Use what suits your architecture and experience level.
Powerful Free Plan
Supabase‘s free tier includes:
- 50,000 monthly active users
- Generous database storage
- Worldwide infrastructure
- Priority community support
Supabase makes robust open source magic links accessible. For developers who want control without lock-in, Supabase is a compelling choice.
6. Clerk – All-In-One Hosted Authentication
Clerk provides front-to-back authentication infrastructure accelerated by magic links.
Here are the key features:
Multiple Integration Options
Clerk supports popular frameworks:
- Clerk React – Frontend React library
- NextJS – Backend integration
- Core API – Custom workflows
Use what‘s right for your stack and skill level.
With Clerk, they handle:
- User management
- Device tracking
- Email deliverability
- Security protections
You get a complete system without DevOps overhead.
Generous Free Tier
Clerk‘s free plan includes:
- 5,000 monthly active users
- Unlimited user accounts
- Solid SLA and support
Paid plans add premium features like custom domains, SSO, and MFA.
For startups that want easy hosted authentication accelerated by magic links, Clerk delivers a quality service.
7. DeScope – No-Code User Flows
DeScope enables no-code magic link configuration through user flows.
Here‘s an overview:
Drag-and-Drop Flow Builder
DeScope provides a visual builder to define your magic link user journeys. Configure steps like:
- Email entry
- Magic link sending
- Redirects after login
Without coding, you create pixel-perfect experiences.
In addition to no-code flows, DeScope offers:
- Client SDKs – For frontend integration
- Backend SDKs – To connect custom servers
- REST API – Direct API access
Build exactly what you need.
Free 7,500 Monthly Users
DeScope‘s free plan includes:
- 7,500 monthly active users
- Normal branding removed
- 99% SLA
- Priority support
It‘s extremely generous for early stage startups.
If you like configuring visually instead of coding, DeScope‘s user flows provide a fast track to magic links.
8. EZiD – APIs for Complete Custom Control
EZiD offers developer-centric APIs to customize flows from the ground up.
Here are some highlights:
With EZiD, you can:
- Create completely custom UIs
- Integrate your backend and business logic
- Build native mobile experiences (iOS, Android)
Their APIs help developers realize their exact vision.
Magic Link Specific
EZiD focuses 100% on magic links. Their platform is purpose-built to optimize this use case.
EZiD charges only for what you use:
- Pay per monthly active user
- Unlimited login transactions
- No long term contracts
While not the most beginner-friendly service, EZiD provides the ultimate flexibility for custom magic link implementations via developer-tailored APIs.
Evaluating Magic Link Providers – Key Factors to Consider
We‘ve covered a range of robust platforms. But how do you choose? Here are key factors I evaluate:
- What languages and frameworks are supported?
- Are mobile, web, and backend covered?
- Is there flexibility for custom integrations?
- What is the reliability and uptime SLA?
- How are security and compliance handled?
- Is self-hosting supported or only cloud?
Onboarding & Support
- Is documentation clear for implementation?
- Is live support available if needed?
- Are sample apps and demos provided?
- Can you customize email templates, branding, UI?
- Does the platform support custom domains?
- How much control do you have over user flows?
- Is there a free tier for testing? How generous is it?
- What is the pricing model? Per user, fixed monthly cost, etc?
- How easy is it to scale up over time?
Consider your unique priorities across these areas when selecting a platform.
It‘s Time to Adopt Frictionless Magic Link Login
I hope this guide has shown how easy it is to implement passwordless magic link authentication today.
The key steps are:
- Evaluate the solutions above based on your requirements
- Test out free tiers before committing long term
- Start small and expand over time
By integrating magic links, you‘ll delight your users with fast, secure access. No more forgotten passwords or login headaches!
If anything was unclear or you have a specific question, please let me know in the comments. I‘m always happy to help fellow developers.
Let‘s work together to eliminate passwords for good!