With over 1 billion monthly active users, Instagram offers an unparalleled opportunity for brands to engage current and prospective customers. But simply having an Instagram presence is not enough to maximize its marketing potential.
Why Actively Collecting Instagram Feedback is Critical
Brands must strategically collect and analyze Instagram feedback to gain crucial customer insights that drive growth.
Benefits of an Instagram Feedback Strategy Include:
Stronger Customer Connections: 88% of customers are more loyal to brands who listen and respond to feedback.
Improved Products & Messaging: Feedback spots pain points and opportunities to better align with audience needs and interests.
Increased Engagement & Conversions: Applying feedback shows customers they are heard, deepening engagement and trust.
In fact, customers who feel their voices were incorporated into changes are 4.5x more likely to convert, per ClickInsights.
With over 500 million daily active Instagram users — 60% of whom discover new products on the platform — the rewards clearly warrant investing in an Instagram feedback strategy.
Best Practices For Collecting Instagram Feedback
Here are 11 proven methods for getting quality Instagram feedback, along with some high-level best practices:
Keep it Specific
Ask clear, focused questions to elicit specific, actionable input vs. vague impressions.
Encourage participation by highlighting benefits or offering perks for valuable feedback.
Close the Loop
Show customers their feedback sparked change by reporting back impact and improvements.
1. Launch Polls in Instagram Stories
Stories with polls receive 37% higher engagement according to Facebook analytics.
To Create an Instagram Story Poll:
- Open the Instagram Story composer
- Select the interactive Poll sticker
- Input poll questions and answer choices
- Share the Story poll
Monitor votes and responses to guide decisions. Example poll questions:
- Which new product feature is most important?
- What do you think of our new logo options?
- Would you attend a virtual or in-person event?
2. Ask Open-Ended Story Questions
Story questions foster an open dialogue for qualitative feedback vs. binary polls.
To Add an Interactive Question Sticker:
- Capture or upload Story content
- Select the Question sticker option
- Type an open-ended question
- Share Story
- Respond to answers in DMs
Example open-ended Story questions:
- What challenges do you face when using our product?
- How could we improve your onboarding experience?
- What features would you want in an updated version?
Review common themes in responses to identify areas for improvement.
3. Create Quizzes to Uncover Knowledge Gaps
The recently launched Quiz sticker lets brands create multi-question quizzes within Stories.
Beyond driving engagement, Instagram Story quizzes reveal gaps in follower brand knowledge and perception. Use this intel to target weak spots with education and messaging.
Steps to Add a Quiz Sticker:
- Access the Quiz sticker from the Story tool menu
- Input at least two quiz questions and determine correct answers
- Customize additional settings around sharing, music, etc.
- Post the Story quiz
- Analyze results data
For example, Buzzfeed uses quizzes to better understand audience interests and calibrate content accordingly:
4. Actively Monitor and Engage Post Comments
Actively reviewing Instagram post comments provides straightforward access to follower questions, feedback and concerns.
Yet a Stellar report found 60% of questions in comments across hundreds of brand posts went unanswered. Missed opportunities for valuable feedback!
Brands should develop the habit of regularly checking recent comments across Instagram posts — either manually or using a social media management platform.
As best practices:
- Respond directly to constructive feedback and reasonable inquiries
- Filter and flag inappropriate content
- Aggregate feedback in relevant internal reports
- Turn insights into action driving improvements
Through comments, brands can facilitate an open, ongoing dialogue giving followers voice and influence.
5. Drive Feedback Via Instagram Story DMs
The DM sticker offers a shortcut driving viewers to directly message an Instagram Business account — straight from an Instagram Story.
Comparably found 56% of customers prefer DMing a business over emailing, calling or chatting. So meeting them in the Instagram DMs primes higher response rates.
Brands can design Story-to-DM campaigns to spur feedback, sweepstakes entries, giveaway signups, newsletter subscriptions, survey participation and more.
To integrate a DM sticker in Stories:
- Create or upload any Story content
- Search “DM” under the sticker tray
- Customize the sticker look, color or text
- Add a compelling CTA like "DM me your feedback!"
- Share via Story
Monitor DMs closely following Story sticker posts and respond promptly. Track any metrics tied to your call-to-action as well, such as survey completion rates.
6. Direct Story Views to Feedback Forms
Instagram accounts with 10K+ followers unlock swipe up links enabling brands to drive Story viewers to dedicated websites.
Brands can host feedback forms, ecommerce category pages or any web content — then present STORY viewers a direct path to experience them first-hand.
For example, Allbirds often uses Story Swipe Ups to showcase new product drops. But brands could incentivize reviewers to “tap to leave feedback on our newest shoe” and direct them straight to a feedback form.
To Add Swipeable Links to Stories:
- Create a new Story
- Select the “Add Link” option underneath
- Input the target URL
- Record the Story or upload content
- Post the swipe up Story!
Track traffic to the linked web pages along with related conversions to gauge impact.
7. Host Live Q&As in Stories and IGTV
Streaming live video on Instagram facilitates real-time question answering from an audience — then saved as IGTV upon completion.
During the stream, ask viewers questions, request feedback on messaging samples or product concepts, or have a key stakeholder publicly answer submitted comments.
Announce the topic, date and time in advance across Instagram grid and Story posts. Offer fans a reminder 1-2 days prior via DM or push notification to boost viewership.
Manage live streams using a platform like Streamyard which compiles comments and data in an intuitive interface.
Analyze the live video replay and aggregated comments to gain unfiltered, real-time feedback from highly engaged viewers. Put key takeaways into action!
8. Spotlight Authentic User-Generated Content (UGC)
User-generated content directly showcases genuine customer perspectives aligned with a brand.
Source compelling Instagram photos or videos from real customers that authentically promotes your product or experience. Ensure contributors grant permission for resharing their content more broadly.
Then regularly repost the most convincing UGC in branded Instagram Stories or as feed posts. Ultimately featuring advocates lends outside validity while revealing honest user attitudes.
For example, Apple frequently regrams customers applying new products in creative ways or highlighting helpful use cases.
[Example embedded Instagram post showing Apple customer UGC]
This authentic peer-to-peer content performs exceptionally well, with UGC driving 4x higher conversion rates than brand-created content according to Reevoo.
9. Partner With Nano and Micro Influencers
Micro and nano influencers are content creators with smaller, niche yet highly engaged audiences on social media.
Partner with relevant voices in your industry to organically access feedback from their loyal followers. In exchange for free product or commission on sales, influencers seamlessly integrate branded content on their feeds.
This facilitates second-hand feedback via comments, DMs and messages associated with the influencer partnership.
Because nano and micro influencers retain more intimacy with their networks, the feedback feels authentic and approachable. They actively converse with followers as well, able to dig deeper asking questions to unearth pain points.
Ensure influencer partnerships strategically align with target customers and campaign KPIs. Track mentions and engagement throughout the promotion to gauge effectiveness.
10. Spark Feedback Through Giveaways and Contests
Contests, giveaways and sweepstakes incentivize customers to actively engage with a brand for the potential upside of free rewards.
Brands can require participants provide feedback as part of giveaway eligibility— a small additional effort for entrants to potentially snag something gratis.
Example contest participation requirements:
- Tag 3 friends + leave a review for extra entries
- Take a short research survey to enter
- Comment your favorite product feature to win
The brand MrBeast creatively garners feedback by incentivizing Instagram followers to comment why they deserve to win extreme giveaways.
[Embedded example mrbeast contest instagram post]
No matter how big or small the prize, inserting feedback tasks into giveaway conditions acts as a value-add bolt-on.
11. Survey Customers Via Instagram Direct Message
For more formal data collection at scale, brands can field Instagram DM surveys using a platform like SurveyMonkey.
DM surveys see 30-50% higher open and response rates compared to email, per response rates from top brands.
Keep Instagram surveys concise:
- 5-7 questions
- 2-3 max swipeable slides
- Target relevant user segments
- Personalize questions
- Schedule recurring delivery
Curate survey results and analyzed feedback into shareable reports for internal teams and leadership.
The true test comes after collection. Brands must holistically analyze Instagram feedback then act to transform insights into improvements.
Best Practices For Putting Feedback Into Play:
- Sort and filter responses – spot trends, outliers, recurring themes
- Address feedback – solve issues, enhance strengths noted
- Distribute insights across teams – social, product, marketing, support etc.
- Show customers they are heard – respond publicly, offer solutions
- Complete the feedback loop – share improvements sparked from input
Committing to an ongoing Instagram feedback strategy fosters invaluable brand-consumer symbiosis while continually optimizing the customer experience.