As an avid Call of Duty player, nothing is more frustrating than booting up Modern Warfare 2, ready to drive the story forward, only to find your progress hasn‘t been saved. Trust me, I‘ve been there!
In this comprehensive troubleshooting guide, let‘s walk through why MW2 may not be saving for you and the steps we can take to fix it.
A Deep Dive into MW2‘s Save Systems
To understand why MW2 sometimes fails to save our progress, let‘s quickly discuss how the game handles save data under the hood.
MW2 stores mission progress, settings changes, and unlocked items locally in files on our PCs and consoles. For example, on PC these files might be located in:
C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Some key files the game modifies as we play include:
- config.cfg – Stores display, control, and gameplay settings
- savegame.dat – Contains campaign and spec ops progress
- mp_savegame.dat – Multiplayer level, unlocks, and stats
As we play through missions, customize loadouts, or unlock new gear, MW2 needs to regularly update these files. This sync process can get blocked if our antivirus perceives the game as untrusted.
MW2 also maintains an online profile with Activision servers. However, the local save files are the primary way our progress is persisted between play sessions.
Now let‘s look at what causes MW2‘s local saves to fail.
When Antivirus and Firewalls Block Save Games
Third-party antivirus programs like McAfee, Kaspersky, or Norton can identify MW2‘s process of updating local files as suspicious behavior. If the game isn‘t on your antivirus‘ allowed list, it might block these save-critical file operations.
Windows Security and Windows Defender Firewall can also halt MW2‘s save process. These builtin protections will run interference unless we specifically allow the game through them.
I once lost 3 hours of MW2 campaign progress before realizing my save issues were caused by Avast Antivirus! After adding the game to Avast‘s exceptions list, my progress started saving again.
Below we‘ll cover how to properly configure your antivirus and firewall to play nicely with MW2.
Step-by-Step: Allow MW2 Through Security Programs
The most reliable fix is to explicitly permit MW2 through any active antivirus or firewall programs. Follow these steps:
![MW2 Save Troubleshooting Flowchart]
1. Allow MW2 through Windows Security
- Open Windows Security settings > Virus & threat protection > Ransomware protection > Controlled folder access
- Click "Allow an app through Controlled folder access"
- Browse apps and choose the ModernWarfare2.exe file
- Also allow Launcher.exe, steam.exe, battle.net.exe
2. Allow MW2 through Windows Defender Firewall
- Go to Windows Defender Firewall > Allow an app or feature through firewall
- Click "Change settings" > "Allow another app…"
- Browse for ModernWarfare2.exe and check it
3. Allow MW2 through Third-Party Antivirus
- Open antivirus settings and find the allowed/excluded apps list
- Add ModernWarfare2.exe and related .exe files
- Common antivirus programs: McAfee, Norton, Avast, AVG, Malwarebytes
4. Verify Game Files
- Use Steam‘s "Verify Integrity of Game Files" or Battle.net‘s "Scan and Repair"
- This checks for corruption issues with install
5. Adjust Folder Permissions
- Navigate to MW2 install and game data folders
- Give your user account full read/write/modify access
6. Launch Game as Administrator
- Right click ModernWarfare2.exe > Run as administrator
- Try running Steam/Battle.net as admin too
7. Temporarily Disable Antivirus
- Turn off antivirus as test to see if saves work normally
- Re-enable after testing to pinpoint conflict
Following these steps to rule out interferences should resolve most MW2 save issues. Let‘s look at a few more tips.
Additional Troubleshooting for Special Cases
In rare instances, you may need to try advanced troubleshooting:
- Delete temporary cached files – Clearing MW2 temp files forces rebuilds
- Reinstall/upgrade graphics drivers – Bad GPU drivers cause crashes
- Adjust CPU overclocks – Unstable OCs lead to corruption
- Update Windows and .NET framework – Old OS builds have compatibility issues
For extremely stubborn cases, contact Activision Support directly. Their technicians can investigate and suggest specialized solutions.
I once fixed an rare MW2 saving bug by updating my Nvidia drivers and deleting the
In Summary: Reviving MW2‘s Save System
To recap, Modern Warfare 2‘s save woes typically stem from:
- Antivirus/firewall conflicts: Add MW2 as an allowed program
- Corrupted local files: Verify integrity through Steam/Battle.net
- Permissions issues: Check folder and file access
- Privileges problems: Run game and launchers as admin
By carefully troubleshooting your system‘s configuration, we can get your MW2 campaign progress, multiplayer unlocks, and settings saving properly again.
I hope this detailed guide has helped explain MW2‘s save process and how to fix issues you may be facing. Now you can excitement of this classic Call of Duty without worries of lost progress. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!