TikTok has become one of the fastest growing social media platforms, with over 1 billion monthly active users as of December 2022 according to TikTok.
But TikTok isn‘t just dancing teens like some people wrongly assume. The platform features an incredibly diverse range of content. A typical TikTok session might include comedy sketches, life hacks, artists showcasing talents, political commentary, kids being hilarious, niche fandom discussions, and more. TikTok‘s algorithm is scarily good at serving you an endless stream of videos tailored exactly to your tastes.
With so much to watch and discover on TikTok every day, you‘ll likely come across some real gems that you want to save for watching again later.
"TikTok empowers creators to shoot entertaining short videos that feel genuine and authentic. This fuels its addictive quality and emotional resonance amongst viewers." – Nehal Kazim, Social Media Expert
Maybe you‘ll find a recipe you want to cook someday, stumble upon an impressive music performance, or just watch your little niece do something adorable you want to save forever.
The ability to save videos on TikTok can be extremely worthwhile for all kinds of situations.
Thankfully, downloading videos on TikTok is straightforward once you know the different methods – both on iPhone and Android devices.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll share the 4 main proven techniques for saving TikTok videos, with simple step-by-step instructions.
Overview of Saving Options
But first, let‘s briefly summarize the TikTok saving options we‘ll cover:
- TikTok‘s Built-In Saving: Download videos directly within TikTok
- TTDownloader: Save videos using the ttdownloader.com website
- Third-Party Apps: Download videos through apps like TikMate
- Screen Recording: Manually capturing video and audio
Now let‘s explore each method more in-depth!
Method 1: Use TikTok’s Built-In Saving
The most straightforward way to save videos is directly within TikTok using the built-in saving option.
- Launch the TikTok app on your iPhone or Android.
- Find a video you want to save to your camera roll.
- Tap on the ‘Share’ icon, which looks like an arrow pointing to the right.
- A menu will appear – select ‘Save video’ and the content will automatically be saved to your device‘s local storage.
This approach works seamlessly for most videos. However, there are a few key limitations:
- Saves directly to your camera roll
- Very fast one-click method
- No watermarks on saved videos
- Won‘t work if the creator disabled saving
- Can‘t save copyrighted or music videos
According to social media experts, copyright protections on platforms like TikTok may increase in future to address creator concerns. So while the built-in feature covers most day-to-day downloading needs, having backup options is wise.
Method 2: Download Videos Through TTDownloader
To get around restrictions blocking TikTok‘s built-in saving, the website TTDownloader is my favorite secondary option I highly recommend.
- In the TikTok app, tap and hold on the video thumbnail until the pop-up menu appears. Click ‘Copy Link‘ to save the unique video URL to your device‘s clipboard.
- Next open any web browser and navigate to TTDownloader.com.
- Paste the copied TikTok video URL into the text box.
- Select options like preferred file format, video trimming, and removing watermarks.
- Finally click the ‘Download Video‘ button and watch it save straight to your device!
Benefits of Using TTDownloader:
- Works on iPhone, Android, tablets and computers
- Fully customizable downloading preferences
- Bypasses saving restrictions and copyrights
- Straightforward downloading without registration required
The main drawback is that as a third-party site, TTDownloader could potentially get taken down someday. But so far it has reliably stayed working.
Out of all the methods covered, I recommend TTDownloader as the most flexible TikTok saving option for overcoming limitations while retaining high video quality.
Method 3: Download Videos Through Third-Party Apps
In addition to websites, purpose-built mobile apps provide another excellent option for saving TikTok videos.
These apps deeply integrate TikTok downloading functionality with a streamlined interface across iOS and Android.
My top pick is TikMate – a free downloader app for Android I‘ve tested extensively.
Instructions to Save with TikMate:
- Install TikMate from the Google Play Store
- In TikTok, tap ‘Share‘ and select ‘Others‘ to open the video in TikMate
- Press ‘Download‘ in TikMate to save the video both locally and to TikMate‘s built-in player
Why Choose TikMate
- Easy one-tap downloading right within TikTok
- Videos saved directly to device storage
- Features playlist tools for managing downloaded videos
- Creators actively update and improve the app
Note that similar third-party downloading apps are banned on iPhones due to App Store restrictions. So Android users get the advantage here.
Method 4: Screen Record Videos Manually
The final method for saving TikTok videos is recording your device‘s screen. Both iPhone and Android devices have built-in functionality to screen record audio and videos.
- Open TikTok and start the video you want to save
- Swipe down from top right to open Control Center THEN long press the Screen Record icon
- Your phone will now capture everything happening on the screen.
- Stop recording when finished and the video file will save automatically.
- Open the video you want to save in TikTok
- Swipe down your notification shade and tap Screen Recorder
- Click Record to begin capturing in 3 seconds
- Select Stop to finish recording – the video will save to your camera roll
Tradeoffs of Screen Recording
- Works as a foolproof last resort
- No app downloading required
- However, lower video quality compared to optimized saving methods
So in summary – I suggest first trying the built-in TikTok saver, then leveraging websites like TTDownloader or apps if that fails. Keep manual screen recording as a reliable Plan D for any situation.
Share Your Best TikTok Moments
Now that you know how to easily save entertaining or inspiring videos on TikTok, you can rewatch favorites as many times as you want and share special moments with friends and family.
TikTok is unique in how its algorithm personalizes an endless stream of engaging content. Once in awhile, everyone comes across a video that‘s just too funny, weird, or skillful NOT to save permanently!
- TikTok‘s built-in saving feature works for most videos
- TTDownloader provides the most flexible downloading options
- Third-party apps like TikMate offer streamlined mobile saving
- All devices also have manual screen recording capabilities
So next time you stumble upon some comedy gold, a crazy stunt, or a talented musical performance – save that TikTok using one of the methods in this guide!