Instagram has become one of the top platforms for musicians and music influencers to build their fanbase and promote their craft. With over 1 billion monthly active users, Instagram offers massive reach for artists to connect with potential new fans.
In this article, we‘ll highlight 15 of the biggest music influencers on Instagram that you should follow in 2023. We‘ll explore who they are, their key stats and achievements, and what makes their Instagram profiles stand out.
1. Shawn Mendes (@shawnmendes)
- 68.7 million Instagram followers
- Successful singer-songwriter with hits like "Stitches" and "In My Blood"
- Gives fans a behind-the-scenes look at his songwriting and recording process
Shawn Mendes is one of the most popular artists of his generation, with three #1 albums already at his young age. His Instagram showcases his talents as a musician, from short songwriting clips to videos of him shredding on the guitar. Mendes does an excellent job bringing fans into his creative world.
2. Billie Eilish (@billieeilish)
- 107 million Instagram followers
- Breakout pop sensation behind hits like “bad guy” and “Therefore I Am"
- Features artistic music video snippets and behind-the-scenes footage
Despite being just 21 years old, Billie Eilish is already an icon. Her signature aesthetic and haunting vocals have earned her fans all over the world. On Instagram, Eilish gives fans an inside look into her sold-out world tours and music videos shoots.
3. Drake (@champagnepapi)
- 121 million Instagram followers
- Chart-topping rapper behind songs like “Hotline Bling” and “God‘s Plan”
- Posts photos with other musicians and athletes
As one of the world’s most popular rappers, Drake has cultivated a massive following online, including on Instagram. While he doesn’t overshare, his posts offer fans a glimpse into his luxurious lifestyle. Most photos capture him interacting with fellow A-listers in music and sports.
4. Ariana Grande (@arianagrande)
- 329 million Instagram followers
- Global pop superstar with 5 chart-topping albums
- Shares glamorous behind-the-scenes pictures from world tours
Ariana Grande claims the title of the most-followed woman on Instagram. Given her ubiquity and chart success, that comes as no surprise. She engages her loyal followers by posting edits of memorable concert moments and outfit changes from her Sweetener World Tour. Photos of Grande highlight her signature ponytail and glam style.
5. Beyoncé (@beyonce)
- 276 million Instagram followers
- Iconic singer with 24 Grammy Awards and hits like “Single Ladies”
- Artsy photos and clips teasing new releases
Queen Bey needs no introduction. As one of music’s most legendary performers, Beyoncé still manages to shatter expectations in the late stages of her career. She uses Instagram to build hype for new projects by posting cryptic, visually stunning images and videos. Even if you find her posts confusing, they still capture your attention.
6. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber)
- 267 million Instagram followers
- Former teen pop icon now showcasing his R&B sound to new audiences
- Raw, authentic looks at his music-making process
Even after a decade in the spotlight, Justin Bieber still resonates with his loyal, youthful fanbase. The former child star gives fans intimate glimpses at his private jam sessions on Instagram. His posts highlight his vocal chops and growth into more mature R&B sounds.
7. Selena Gomez (@selenagomez)
- 358 million Instagram followers
- Recently explored Spanish-language music on her Revelación EP
- Shows off stylish outfit pics and behind-the-scenes candids from music video shoots
After rising to fame as an actress, Selena Gomez has blossomed into a bonafide pop force. She helps fans get to know her better through fun-loving Insta posts. Her photos capture her stylish fashion sense, revealing a more personal side fans adore.
8. Rihanna (@badgalriri)
- 138 million Instagram followers
- Global superstar behind hits like “Work” and “Umbrella” still influencing trends
- Promotes her fashion and beauty brands like Fenty
Rihanna is the ultimate multhyphenate – between topping charts and running business empires, she still finds time to slay on Instagram. As expected, many of her posts feature glam shots showing off the latest from her brand Fenty. Even without new albums, Rihanna remains an unmatched cultural force.
9. Post Malone (@postmalone)
- 34.6 million Instagram followers
- Unique rap-rock aesthetic that helped songs like “Circles” and "Sunflower" go viral
- Showcases quirky fashion sense and tattoos
Post Malone has one of the most unmistakable visual styles in music, with his face tattoos and marbled grills. While unconventional, he has molded himself into a pop culture staple. His Instagram photos highlight his eccentric fashion taste in clothes and jewelry.
10. Camila Cabello (@camila_cabello)
- 59.2 million Instagram followers
- Formerly of Fifth Harmony, now a solo star behind “Havana” and “Bam Bam"
- Fun, candid pics and performance clips
Camila Cabello transitioned gracefully from girl group member to chart-topping solo artist. Her Instagram reflects the same playful attitude that made hits like “Havana” inescapable pop smashes. Performance clips demonstrate her star power as one of music’s most engaging live performers.
11. J Balvin (@jbalvin)
- 47.8 million Instagram followers
- Reggaeton singer from Colombia bringing Spanish-language music to the masses
- Vibrant images and videos highlighting his signature aesthetics
Known for bringing reggaeton music to the American mainstream, J Balvin has become a beloved global superstar. The Colombian singer expresses his vibrant artistic identity through everything posted on his Instagram. From live performances to music video outtakes, his posts radiate color and infectious energy.
12. Maluma (@maluma)
- 62.8 million Instagram followers
- Reggaeton heartthrob beloved for songs like "Hawái” and “Felices los 4"
- Gives fans a glimpse of his flamboyant personal style
Maluma produces infectious Latin/pop crossover hits that spark global dance parties. When he’s not selling out stadiums, his Instagram showcases his signature flair through bright colors and bold aesthetics. His pictures highlight adventurous fashion shoots and moments captured on tour.
13. Snoop Dogg (@snoopdogg)
- 75 million Instagram followers
- Rap icon still prolific decades into his career, recently buying Death Row Records
- Legendary stoner posts hilarious commentary on viral content
Even over 25 years since his debut, Snoop Dogg remains a towering figure in rap music and culture. True to his blunt-sparking reputation, his Instagram displays his irreverent sense of humor through meme commentary. Beyond the laughs, his account proves why he’s still a respected OG.
14. Shakira (@shakira)
- 76.1 million Instagram followers
- Colombian music and dance icon with massive hits like “Hips Don‘t Lie" and "Waka Waka”
- Shows off her famous dance moves in rehearsals and performances
For over 20 years, Shakira has captured global audiences with her electrifying dance moves and fiery Latin pop catalog. Her Instagram allows fans to connect with her on a more personal level. She often shares silly behind-the-scenes moments that highlight her lovable personality when she isn’t dominating the stage.
15. Bad Bunny (@badbunnypr)
- 39.7 million Instagram followers
- Puerto Rican trap star behind hits “Yo Perreo Sola" and “Dákiti”
- Gives fans a glimpse into his eccentric personal style
As the biggest name in Latin trap, Bad Bunny has steamed up the charts with his distinct swagger. Beyond the bangers, he shows off his avant-garde fashion sense through eclectic Instagram pictures. Whether in a full drag ensemble or quirky streetwear look, Bad Bunny keeps fans guessing what he’ll do next.
The top music influencers on Instagram know how to give fans just enough behind-the-scenes access to feel more connected with their work. At the same time, they manage not to overexpose themselves or seem less aspirational.
It‘s a delicate balance to strike. But musicians who achieve it can leverage Instagram to boost their popularity and get more ears on their new releases.
No matter which genre an artist represents, Instagram allows them to develop signature aesthetics that fans instantly recognize. Visual elements like fashion, colors, and creative photography carry musical artists just as far as actual songs.
Music will always remain the priority. But trends point toward visual storytelling growing more crucial, especially for musicians managing their personal brands. The top influencers highlighted here show the limitless potential when artists fully embrace Instagram‘s unique powers.