Finding the right email marketing platform is a big decision. You want something budget-friendly but also packed with features to help you reach your subscribers in a personal and meaningful way.
I‘ve taken a deep dive on the top 13 most cost-effective email marketing tools for bloggers like yourself. I‘ll provide plenty of details, data, and expert insights to help you make the best choice.
Why Email Marketing Matters
Let‘s start with some key stats on why email is still so important for audience engagement:
Email has a median ROI of 122% – for every $1 spent, $122 is generated in return. [Source]
76% of consumers prefer to receive permission-based marketing communications through email. [Source]
Email generates $42 for every $1 spent, outpacing social media, direct mail, and more. [Source]
The data shows that despite social media and other channels, email remains one of the most effective ways to reach your audience. But costs can add up quickly if you choose the wrong platform.
Choosing the Right Email Marketing Platform
As your startup‘s email list grows, pricing may become a concern. Many popular email service providers charge hefty fees, especially at higher subscriber counts.
The good news is there are plenty of affordable and even free options on the market catered to solopreneurs and early stage businesses. But you also want to make sure you get key features like:
- Deliverability: Getting past spam filters reliably
- Automation: Workflows to engage subscribers
- Analytics: In-depth campaign and list reporting
- Integrations: With your website, CRM, ecommerce platforms, etc
- Support: Good customer service when issues arise
To help you find the right fit, I‘ve researched the top 13 budget-friendly email marketing platforms available in 2022. Let‘s dive in!
I recommend checking out MailerLite first. It has one of the most generous free plans, allowing you to send to 1,000 subscribers with unlimited emails.
The key features you get even with the free account include:
- Drag and drop email builder with mobile templates
- Custom signup forms and landing pages
- Contact management and basic segmentation
- Automation for welcome emails, follow ups, etc
- Solid inbox placement and spam monitoring
- Engagement analytics on opens, clicks, etc
For bloggers just getting started, MailerLite has all the core features covered for free. If you outgrow the limits or need advanced functionality like A/B testing, paid plans start at $10/month.
Another great free option is Sendinblue. The free plan provides:
- 300 emails/day
- Unlimited contacts
- Drag and drop builder
- Signup forms and landing pages
- Segmentation and automation
- Integrations with CMS, CRM, etc
Two key advantages Sendinblue has are a user-friendly workflow builder for automations and excellent deliverability features like bounce and complaint handling.
Paid plans start at a very reasonable $25/month if you need to scale up. For just getting started, Sendinblue is a great pick thanks to the free plan.
Next on the list is Mailjet, used by major companies like Reddit and IKEA for its deliverability.
The standout aspects of Mailjet include:
- Drag and drop email builder with mobile optimization
- Automation workflows for cart abandonment, customer re-engagement, and more
- Contact management and detailed segmentation
- Link click analytics and campaign statistics in real time
- High security and compliance with ESP certification
- 200 emails/day and 2,000 contacts free forever
For startups that expect fast growth, Mailjet is appealing because it‘s built to scale. The free plan gives you plenty of room to get started. Then pricing is affordable at $15/month as your needs expand.
If you don‘t mind paying a small monthly fee upfront, Moosend is one of the most affordable options at just $9/month for up to 1,000 subscribers.
Some of the standout features include:
- Drag and drop editor with mobile templates
- Signup forms, landing pages, and popups
- Segmentation and grouping contacts
- Automations for cart abandonment, customer re-engagement etc
- Link click analytics and open/read tracking
- High deliverability with dedicated IPs and domain authentication
For just a few dollars per month, Moosend provides professional-grade email marketing capabilities without the big price tag. It‘s a great self-serve platform for startups doing their own marketing.
If you want additional marketing features beyond standard email, GetResponse is a great pick starting at $15/month for 1,000 subscribers.
Some popular features include:
- Drag and drop email builder with templates
- Automation for cart abandonment, churn reduction, and more
- Signup forms, landing pages, webinars, and lead generation tools
- Contact segmentation to personalize messaging
- Analytics on campaigns, conversions, ROI, and more
- Deliverability tools like dedicated IPs, whitelisting, etc
GetResponse covers not just email marketing automation, but also lead capture, landing pages, and webinars for complete digital marketing capabilities. It saves you from piecing together different tools.
6. Benchmark Email
If you just need straightforward email marketing without the extra bells and whistles, Benchmark Email provides excellent deliverability starting at $9/month for up to 2,500 contacts.
The platform is known for its:
- Intuitive drag and drop email builder
- Automated onboarding and re-engagement workflows
- Custom signup forms and landing pages
- Contact management and granular segmentation
- Detailed analytics on opens, clicks, activity over time
- High inbox placement and spam monitoring
- Integrations with all major CMS, CRM, and ecommerce platforms
For reliable and affordable email marketing automation, Benchmark Email is a great choice for small businesses and startups.
7. Amazon SES
Amazon‘s SES (Simple Email Service) offers extremely low pay-as-you-go pricing starting at just $0.10 per 1,000 emails sent.
The benefits of using SES include:
- Integration with other AWS services
- Scalable infrastructure that handles billions of emails
- Automated warm-up to improve deliverability
- Real-time and scheduled sending
- Bounce and complaint monitoring
- Engagement metrics and campaign analytics
- Dedicated IPs to protect sender reputation
The pay-as-you-go model works great if you have fluctuating email volume month-to-month. Overall, SES provides exceptional deliverability at one of the lowest available rates.
Key Factors in Choosing a Platform
As you evaluate options, keep these factors in mind:
Delivery Rates – The % of emails that reach the inbox. Look for 90%+.
Automation – Workflows improve engagement.
Analytics – Dashboards with clear reports and metrics.
List Size Limits – Entry plans often limit your contact list size.
Support – Look for responsive customer service.
Integrations – With your CRM, website, payment processor, etc.
The right email marketing platform helps you nurture leads, drive sales, and boost loyalty without breaking the bank. Solutions like Sendinblue, MailerLite, Moosend, and SES all offer generous free tiers or affordable rates for small businesses.
Make sure to consider factors like deliverability, automation, analytics, and integrations in your decision process. And don‘t be afraid to try out a few different options – many have free trials available.
I hope this overview helps you pick the perfect platform to meet your startup‘s needs and budget! Let me know if you have any other questions.