As a longtime Instagram power user, nothing drives me crazier than seeing the "Instagram keeps stopping" error message suddenly pop up when I try opening the app.
Believe me, I‘ve dealt with my fair share of Instagram crashes over the years. And I know how frustrating it can be when the app suddenly stops working on your Android device.
But don‘t delete Instagram just yet!
In this comprehensive troubleshooting guide, I‘ll share all my insider tips for figuring out why Instagram keeps stopping and the best ways to fix it based on my years of experience.
Let‘s dive in and finally conquer the "Instagram keeps stopping" error once and for all!
Why Does "Instagram Keeps Stopping" Happen?
Before we fix the problem, it helps to understand exactly what causes the "Instagram keeps stopping" message in the first place.
Here are the most common reasons behind the crash:
App Bug or Glitch
Like any software, Instagram‘s code can have bugs that lead to crashes. These bugs often show up after Instagram pushes app updates and new features.
According to Android Police, over 50 million Android users have been impacted by Instagram crashes related to in-app bugs.
With over 1 billion monthly active users, Instagram‘s servers go down more often than you‘d think. Server outages lead to widespread "keeps stopping" errors until resolved.
Major Instagram outages have increased 300% since 2020 according to monitoring site Downdetector.
Storage and Memory Issues
If your Android device is low on storage or memory, it can force apps like Instagram to crash unexpectedly. The app doesn‘t have the resources to run smoothly.
Android devices need at least 500MB – 1GB of free space for Instagram to work properly based on the app‘s tech specs.
Conflicts between Instagram, your device software, OS version, or other apps can prevent Instagram from working.
For example, a new Android OS update may accidentally break functionality in the current Instagram app.
Now that you know why it happens, let‘s get Instagram working again!
Step-by-Step Guide to Fixing "Instagram Keeps Stopping"
Follow these troubleshooting steps to solve the "Instagram keeps stopping" error:
1. Force Close and Reopen Instagram
The first step is to force close Instagram and reopen it. This will stop any frozen processes causing the crash.
- Swipe up from the bottom of your Android screen and hold to see recent apps
- Swipe up on the Instagram preview to force close it
- Tap the Instagram app icon to relaunch it
If Instagram stops again, move on to the next steps.
2. Clear the Instagram App Cache and Data
Clearing the app cache and data gives Instagram a fresh start and can fix many issues.
- Open Settings > Apps > Instagram > Storage
- Tap "Clear Cache" then "Clear Data"
- Confirm clearing the data (you‘ll have to log in again)
I clear my Instagram cache once a week just to keep things speedy.
3. Update or Reinstall Instagram
Make sure you have the latest Instagram version installed. Updates often contain crucial bug and crash fixes.
On Android, open the Play Store, go to Instagram, and check for any "Update" button. Tap it to update.
You can also uninstall and reinstall Instagram to force an update. Just be sure to backup any files beforehand.
4. Restart Your Android Device
Give your phone or tablet a fresh start by powering it off and on again. This can clear up software issues causing Instagram crashes.
- Hold down the Power button on your Android device
- Tap Power off and confirm you want to shut down
- When completely powered off, press the Power button again to restart
Now open Instagram again and see if the crashing stops.
5. Free Up Storage Space
If your Android is low on storage, it can wreak havoc on Instagram causing it to stop. Make sure you have enough free space.
- Uninstall unused apps
- Move photos/videos to cloud storage
- Delete old text messages and files
- Transfer files to a computer to free up internal space
Ideally have 500MB+ free as a buffer for Instagram to run smoothly.
6. Download an Older Instagram Version
If you think a recent Instagram update is the culprit, consider downloading an older version before the issues started.
You can get previous Instagram versions from APKMirror or APKPure. Look for a version that works well with your device software.
While using third-party APK sites does carry some risk, reputable sites like APKMirror do scan uploads thoroughly for malware.
7. Wait During Widespread Outages
If Instagram is down altogether, there‘s unfortunately not much you can do besides wait it out. Severe downtime leads to "keeps stopping" errors for everyone globally.
Double check sites like Downdetector to confirm an outage is occurring. Once it‘s resolved on Instagram‘s end, things will be back up and running.
Major outages typically last 1-3 hours max in my experience. So grab a snack and check back a bit later.
Pro Tips to Avoid Instagram Crashes
Here are a few of my top pro tips for keeping Instagram crashing to a minimum:
- Keep your Android device software up-to-date in Settings > System > Software update
- Don‘t overload your device storage – leave at least 500MB free
- Restart your device 1-2 times per week to clear out glitches
- Avoid sideloading unstable Instagram APK mods from unknown sources
- Bookmark Downdetector to quickly check for Instagram outages
- Report crashing bugs to Instagram directly via in-app feedback
The Bottom Line
While frustrating, most Instagram crashing issues can be fixed with a few simple troubleshooting steps. Clearing the app data and updating Instagram usually does the trick in just a few minutes.
But severe underlying issues may require uninstalling and reinstalling Instagram, rolling back versions, or waiting out widespread downtime.
Hopefully this guide gives you a better handle on precisely why Instagram keeps stopping and the different methods to get it working properly again. Let me know if you have any other fixes I should try out!