If you‘re looking to host a MEAN stack application, choosing the right hosting platform is crucial. You need an infrastructure that is optimized for the MEAN stack and provides the performance, reliability, and scalability your app needs.
In this guide, we‘ll explore the top 5 MEAN stack hosting providers that offer robust and developer-friendly platforms for your MEAN apps.
Overview of the MEAN Stack
Before diving into the hosting options, let‘s briefly go over what the MEAN stack entails and why it has become a favorite for web development.
Each component of the MEAN stack has a specific role:
MongoDB: A popular open source NoSQL database that stores data in flexible JSON documents. It is scalable, high performance and provides indexes, replication, etc.
Express: A minimal and flexible web application framework for Node.js. It simplifies development and provides robust features for building web apps and APIs.
Benefits of using the MEAN stack include:
- Real-time interaction – fast data syncing with MongoDB
- Reusability – modular components and code sharing
- Active community – open source tools with great documentation
- Scalability – handle increasing traffic with horizontal scaling
Now let‘s look at some of the top MEAN stack hosting providers that can turbocharge your application.
MEAN Stack Hosting Platforms
1. MongoDB Atlas
MongoDB Atlas is a popular fully-managed cloud database service for modern applications. It is highly optimized for hosting MongoDB databases that power MEAN stack applications.
Some key advantages of Atlas for MEAN stack projects:
- Built-in integration and tooling for MongoDB
- Automated cluster monitoring, backups, security, etc.
- Easy horizontal scaling with no downtime
- Global cloud infrastructure across 70+ regions
- Performance metrics and visual graphing of database queries
- Secure network architecture and encryption
- Integrated with all major cloud providers
Atlas streamlines MEAN stack development by handling time-consuming admin tasks like optimization, upgrades, scaling. You get a MongoDB as a service capable of handling workloads of any size.
Pricing is per GB of storage used starting at $0.005/GB. Various tiers are offered from free to enterprise-grade production support. Their pricing calculator helps estimate costs.
"We were able to launch our MVP so quickly thanks to MongoDB Atlas handling all our backend work like provisioning infrastructure and replication, securing and scaling clusters." – Robert Keel, CTO, Fizzle.co
2. Microsoft Azure
Key features for MEAN stack deployments include:
- Global datacenter regions across the world
- Auto-scaling of MongoDB clusters to meet demand
- Built-in CI/CD pipelines for smooth deployments
- Single-click MEAN template deployment options
- Monitoring tools for performance management
- DDoS protection and enterprise-grade security
- Integrations with Visual Studio, GitHub, Docker, and other platforms
Azure takes care of infrastructure, clustering, replication, and more so developers can focus solely on the application logic. You can start with a simple prototype on Azure and scale to full production.
Pricing is based on the underlying VMs, storage, and Azure services consumed. They offer a free trial to test drive Azure.
"We could deploy our MEAN application on Azure within minutes with no infrastructure headaches. It has more than met our performance and scalability expectations." – Mark Liu, Founder, Codeleaf
Amazon Web Services provides fully managed MEAN stack hosting solutions on its elastic cloud infrastructure.
Key benefits of AWS for MEAN applications include:
- Global edge locations for low-latency deployments
- Auto-scaling groups to handle traffic spikes
- Managed load balancing and distributed caching
- High availability across multiple data centers
- Built-in security compliance and DDoS mitigation
- Streamlined deployment pipelines with CodeDeploy
- Monitoring and logging tools included
You can get started easily with a pre-built MEAN environment using AWS Elastic Beanstalk. It takes care of capacity provisioning, load balancing, scaling and application health monitoring.
AWS offers a pay-as-you-go model based on actual resources consumed. They provide an estimated cost calculator for planning.
"With AWS we could launch our MEAN app globally in minutes. We easily handle traffic spikes thanks to the auto-scaling and reduced latency." – Sam Han, CTO, Leesa.com
Advantages of using MEAN.JS include:
- Standards-based architecture following proven patterns
- Modular design allowing customizable components
- Built-in user management and access control
- Pre-configured for popular add-ons like databases
- Easy deployment to various cloud platforms
- Active community support for the framework
MEAN.JS allows you to focus on building features instead of wiring up the foundations each time. It comes with a cluster-ready production starter kit.
You can host MEAN.JS applications on any major cloud provider like AWS, Azure or Google Cloud. There are no costs for the framework itself.
"We used MEAN.JS to kickstart development and found it much faster than coding from scratch. The documentation and community really helped customize it to our needs." – Julia Thompson, CTO, Leap Club
Heroku is a popular PaaS for hosting web apps. It has first-class support and optimized tools for MEAN application development.
Notable Heroku features for MEAN stacks include:
- Automated and instant deployments from Git
- Seamless scaling of dynos to meet demand
- Add-ons like MongoDB Atlas with one click
- Easy collaboration for teams with access control
- Smooth delivery pipelines for continuous integration
- Monitoring tools for tracking performance metrics
- High availability and redundancy across data centers
- SSL encryption set up by default
Heroku simplifies MEAN deployments so developers can focus on creating value for the application. The platform is designed for handling production workloads from prototype to enterprise scale.
Pricing is based on the compute resources consumed starting at free for limited use. Add-ons for databases and other services are priced separately.
"We went from concept to live MEAN app in days with Heroku‘s amazing workflows. Scaling has been effortless as our traffic has grown." – Steve Moyer, CTO, Lepto Sports
Choosing the Right MEAN Stack Host
When selecting a hosting platform for your MEAN application, here are some key factors to evaluate:
Performance – Ensure the infrastructure provides fast I/O, SSD storage, dedicated compute for optimal speed.
Scalability – Look for horizontal scaling to support sudden spikes in traffic and demand.
Reliability – Check for redundancy across data centers, failover systems, uptime history.
Security – Verify security measures like encryption, firewalls, VPNS, role-based access, etc.
Ease of use – Opt for simplified deployment flows, collaborative workflows, automation.
Support – Pick a provider with multiple support channels like live chat, phone, tickets.
Cost – Compare monthly costs across varying usage levels to find the best value.
Location – If targeting specific regions, ensure the host has datacenters nearby.
The best MEAN stack hosting provider balances these technical and business considerations for powering your application.
Optimizing Your MEAN Deployment
Once you have your MEAN stack app deployed and running, here are some tips for optimizing and securing it:
- Load test early and often to catch bottlenecks before launch
- Enable front-end and back-end caching to improve performance
- Use CDNs to distribute assets and reduce server load
- Monitor server metrics like CPU usage, memory, etc. and scale when needed
- Make sure to index commonly queried fields in MongoDB
- Follow security best practices like using HelmetJS middleware
- Use environment variables instead of hardcoded secrets
- Enable HTTPS everywhere using SSL certificates
- Restrict database access to only authorized application servers
- Implement rate limiting to prevent brute force attacks
- Regularly update components to patch any vulnerabilities
Investing in continuous performance tuning and security hardening will ensure your MEAN app thrives at any scale.
Atlas MongoDB, Microsoft Azure, AWS, MEAN.JS, and Heroku are leading solutions for MEAN hosting. Each offers advanced MEAN optimizations at global scale. Consider factors like performance requirements, reliability, ease of use, pricing, and scalability when picking your MEAN stack host.